Skip to content.

Berkeley Engineering

Educating Leaders. Creating Knowledge. Serving Society.

You are here: Home Students Current Undergraduates Majors & Minors Change of Major
Document Actions

Change of Major

Think you might want to change your Major? Review details on the application process here.

Students in the College of Engineering must complete a minimum of one semester at UC Berkeley before they will be considered for a change of major.   (It should be noted that though some majors will accept students who have completed only one semester, our more impacted majors will usually not. EECS currently requires a minimum of two semesters before they will consider a change of major application. )

Applications for a change of major will be considered only when all of the following requirements have been met:

  • At least one semester has been completed at UC Berkeley.
  • Student is in good academic standing.
  • Student has made satisfactory academic progress during their semesters of enrollment.
  • Planned program shows a realistic trajectory for completing all degree requirements within the time allotted by the college.
  • Students who have met the above criteria and have a 3.0 or higher UC technical GPA are more likely to be approved. (Note: Some majors require a technical GPA greater than 3.0 for admission, and completion of more than one semester. Students should consult with their Engineering Student Services (ESS) Adviser for specific information on their intended major.)
  • It should be noted the above are required for consideration, and are not a guarantee of admission.  Many of our majors are highly impacted and are thus very limited in the number of  requests for change of major they can accommodate.

Students submit a change of major application to their ESS Adviser in 230 Bechtel. It is in a student’s best interest to submit the change of major application by no later than the end of their sophomore year.  The application must be submitted a minimum of two semesters prior to anticipated date of graduation.  The application must include an academic plan that shows the requested change will not delay graduation.


Transfer students are not eligible to change majors, including adding a second major.

Students admitted through a change of college application are not eligible to change majors. This includes adding a second major