Skip to content.

Berkeley Engineering

Educating Leaders. Creating Knowledge. Serving Society.

You are here: Home Students Prospective Students Admissions
Document Actions


There has never been a better time to be an engineer—and there is no better place to start the journey than at Berkeley. So what are you waiting for? Join us!

Freshman and transfer applicants

The annual UC system application period is November 1-30 each year for admission for the following fall semester. All applications are administered by the UC Berkeley Office of Undergraduate Admissions. For more information about the application process and eligibility, visit the admissions web site. Go to the College’s junior transfer page for admission information specific to transfer students, and see our prospective freshman and junior transfer FAQs for answers to common questions about undergraduate admissions, the general undergraduate program and student life.

Prospective undergraduates to the College of Engineering will apply for admission to a specific program from one of the following: Bioengineering; Civil Engineering; Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences; Energy Engineering; Engineering Mathematics and Statistics; Engineering Physics; Engineering Undeclared (freshman applicants only); Environmental Engineering Science; Industrial Engineering and Operations Research; Materials Science and Engineering; Mechanical Engineering; or Nuclear Engineering.

Only junior transfer applicants may apply directly to a joint major, however, students admitted as freshmen may petition to change to a joint major after completing their first year at Berkeley. Currently, the College offers joint majors as follows: Bioengineering/Materials Science and Engineering; Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences/Materials Science and Engineering; Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences/Nuclear Engineering; Materials Science and Engineering/Mechanical Engineering; Materials Science and Engineering/Nuclear Engineering; Mechanical Engineering/Nuclear Engineering.

The College also offers two joint majors with chemical engineering, administered by the College of Chemistry. Junior transfer students interested in one of these programs—Chemical Engineering/Materials Science and Engineering; Chemical Engineering/Nuclear Engineering—should apply to the College of Chemistry on their application.

For additional information about our degree programs, please visit our majors and minors page.

Graduate applicants

Graduate admissions are administered by UC Berkeley’s Graduate Division. For specific information regarding admissions, programs and deadlines, please visit the website of your prospective department.

Financial aid

To learn more about costs of attendance, types of financial aid, eligibility and deadlines, visit UC Berkeley’s Financial Aid and Scholarships Office. For the current schedule of fees and tuition, see the Office of the Registrar. Please note that University fees are subject to change. Nonresident students, in particular, should plan carefully to ensure adequate financial resources; click here for more information.


Review our online prospective student publications for detailed information on programs, curriculum and policies of the College of Engineering.

Admissions FAQs

Wondering about prerequisites, switching your major or research opportunities? Our FAQs for prospective freshman and prospective transfer applicants can answer all of these questions and more. Need more information? Contact us for answers.